Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Easy Teen Craft: Kumihimo Bracelets

I took this craft to our local Juvenile Detention Center; it was a perfect activity for kids stuck inside on a rainy day. The students were very receptive, and all of them "got it" without too much trouble. Several of them wanted to keep working on the project after the program and asked me to leave behind extra string, which earns this craft a spot in my future programming repertoire.

I made enough looms out of old poster board for each student to keep one. (This way they could keep working on the project and didn't have to finish their bracelet by the end of my visit.)

Before we got started, I told them a little bit about the history of Kumihimo, and showed them a few color photos of some of the impressive projects you can make with this Japanese braiding technique, professional Kumihimo artists at work on their fancy wooden wheels, as well as finished photos of the type of bracelet we would be making.

Before I reinvent the Kumihimo wheel, I'd like to share this fantastic video explaining the entire craft from Red Ted Art.  In this case they have used yarn, but I think embroidery floss is more attractive to older kids. For the cardboard circle loom, I used a medium circle die-cut and posterboard, which also worked well.

Try it yourself! It's simple, easy, inexpensive, historically interesting, engaging- what else can we ask for? Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment